Shakshuka recipe is a dish that is prepared with poached eggs in tomato sauce which are made with olive oil, onions, seasonings, bell pepper, and garlic. This dish is famous in Mediterranean culture. It has been one of the favorite egg dishes of mine. I prepared a shakshuka recipe with some feta cheese on top with some chili flakes. I served this with pita bread. Shakshuka is eaten as breakfast but I usually love to eat with pita bread along with some salad. This is one of the easy recipes of shakshuka and in this recipe, you can use canned tomatoes and the leftover juice of tomatoes for more consistency but as you know I like to use fresh veggies so I used fresh tomatoes to make the puree. Try out this delicious recipe and let me know in comments how it turned out.
INGREDIENTS FOR SHAKSHUKA RECIPE
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Yellow Onion (Chopped)
- 1 ½ Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- Salt to Taste
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 2 Tablespoon Tomato Puree
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin (Grounded)
- Black Pepper to Taste
- ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/4th Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 Large Tomatoes (Crushed & Roasted)
- A handful of Parsley (Chopped)
- 6 Eggs
- 1/3rd cup Feta Cheese (Crumbled)
- Pita Bread (For Serving)
SHAKSHUKA RECIPE -PREPARATION METHOD
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees. Then, heat the oil in a skillet, add onion, bell pepper, and salt and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Then add the garlic, tomato puree, cumin, smoked paprika, and red peppers flakes and cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Secondly, add the crushed tomatoes with the parsley and mix it well. Let it simmer on slow flame and cook it for 5 minutes until you can smell the aroma.
- Then, remove it from the heat and adjust seasoning if required. Then break the egg on top of the mixture.
- Thirdly, carefully using the spoon make some space for the egg. Then, break the egg directly on the tomato mixture. Repeat the same step for other eggs.
- Then, put the skillet in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Finally, remove it from the oven top it with crumbled feta cheese and red chili flakes.
PREPARATION TIME- 10 minutes
COOKING TIME- 10 minutes
BAKING TIME- 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME- 35 minutes